History | St. Clare's Hospital
The History of St. Clare's Hospital
A Catholic hospital had been a hope for the people of Schenectady since 1917, but for one reason or another, support for the hospital never gained momentum.
In 1942, Schenectady’s growing industrial strength and related population boom seemed to indicate the time was right. Seven years passed before the dream was realized. World War II was fought and won and two fund drives launched before St. Clare's Hospital opened its doors.
The hospital operated from Sept. 1, 1949 until June 16, 2008, when it officially surrendered its license and Catholic identity due to insurmountable financial pressures.
Today, the site of the former St. Clare's Hospital is called the McClellan Street Health Center.
To learn more about Ellis Medicine, please call 1.888.EllisInfo (1.888.355.4746).