Coronavirus Update: Visitor Guidelines
Wednesday, April 15, 2020
Editors Note: This situation is rapidly changing, and we are continuously evaluating our safety precautions, as well as following the Department of Health recommendations when it comes to visitors and access to our facilities. With a growing number confirmed Coronavirus cases in the Capital Region, we expect to issue further visitor restrictions and limitations in the coming days. We recommend you check this site regularly for the most up-to-date information.
Ellis Hospital, McClellan Street Health Center, Medical Center of Clifton Park Emergent Care, and Bellevue Woman's Center have suspended ALL routine visitations to our patients effective immediately, due to the coronavirus outbreak. No visitors will be allowed unless they meet the exceptions listed below. There will be no overnight stays, again unless they meet the exceptions below. NO visitor will be allowed entry to visit a patient who has a pending or positive COVID-19 test, and no visitors under the age of 16 will be permitted entry to the facility.
Discharged inpatients may have one person meet them in the discharge lounge to review discharge instructions prior to leaving the hospital. Discharged ED patients may have one person meet them in the ED waiting room to review discharge instructions.
There are exceptions for certain patients that include:
- Obstetric patients at Bellevue and the Emergency Department may have one support person at a time.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) patients may have one birth parent plus one significant other who must remain in the room for the duration of the visit.
- Patients who are at the end-of-life, including COVID-19 patients, may have two designated visitors; one visitor at the bedside and a backup visitor to alternate with.
- Patients with disruptive behavior, in which a family member is key to their care, may have one visitor.
- Patients who have altered mental status or developmental delays (where caregiver provides safety) may have one visitor- staff members from group homes are considered an extension of the healthcare team and not a visitor; their presence may fulfill the role of meeting the patient's extended care needs.
- Minors under age 18 may have two designated visitors, parents, or guardians, but only one visitor is allowed at a time.
- Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have one visitor who must leave the hospital as soon as possible after the procedure/surgery.
- Patients who have an outpatient/office appointment at any Ellis Medicine facility, which includes outpatient offices, radiation therapy, neuro, wound care, infusion, laboratory, or radiology, may have one person with them.
Visitor(s) of a patient that meets an exception will be allowed inside the Hospital, Emergency Department, Emergent Care or Urgent Care per the above criteria and will be restricted to the patient’s room. Once a visitor leaves a patient’s room, they must leave the hospital, emergent care, or urgent care facility.
All permitted visitors will be greeted upon entry to all facilities and may be turned away based on the concerns of securing patient and staff safety.
All non-employed healthcare workers providing a service to Ellis Medicine will be screened and have their temperature taken upon entry to the facility, and will be screened a second time during their visit.
Additionally, we have limited the number of entrances at our facilities. Please use the following entrances to access the facility. All visitors will be screened prior to entering certain areas.
Ellis Hospital- 1101 Nott Street
Nott Street Garage Entrance- Please use the Nott Street garage for parking and enter the hospital through the main level of the Nott Street Garage.
Rosa Road Garage Entrance- Please use the Rosa Road garage for parking and enter the hospital through the emergency department main entrance.
Rosa Road Graham Lot- This parking lot entrance is closed to the public but can still be access for our Ellis Works and Radiation Oncology patients.
Medical Arts Building 1201 Nott Street- Please use the main entrance to the medical arts building or the entrance in the basement of the Nott Street parking garage.
McClellan Street Health Center- 600 McClellan Street
Please use the main entrance and park in the S parking lot across from the main entrance circle. All surgical center patients need to use the main entrance to the facility.
Cushing Building 624 McClellan Street- Please use the main entrance to the Cushing building.
Bellevue Women’s Center- 2210 Troy Schenectady Road
Please use the main entrance to the facility, all Breast Care Center patients will continue to use the Breast Care Main Entrance.
Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center, under federal guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has restricted all visitation until further notice. In addition, Ellis Medicine will be screening all visitors at the main lobby at the McClellan Street campus. Infections like influenza and novel COVID-19 are especially dangerous to the residents and can be avoided.
This restriction DOES NOT apply for end of life situations only, as determined by administration.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your loved ones, please feel free to contact their nursing unit manager.
For more information and to access the most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 (novel coronvirus):
CDC Website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
General Public Hot Line - 1.888.364.3065
Ellis Medicine | Newsroom
Ellis Medicine Media Inquiries
Media inquiries should be directed to the Communications Department at Ellis Medicine. The Communications Department is open and staffed Monday through Friday, from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm. The department can be reached by phone at 518.232.9288. If you leave a message your call will typically be returned within 24 hours.
All official communications regarding Ellis Medicine are arranged through the Communications Department. We look forward to working with members of the public and media organizations to provide accurate, up-to-date information about Ellis Medicine.
1101 Nott Street
Schenectady, NY 12308