Financial Assistance FAQs
What should I do first?
If paying your bill creates a financial burden, it is very important to let us know so we can help. Please call 518.243.1695.
What is Financial Assistance?
If approved, Financial Assistance reduces your Ellis Hospital bill. How much it is reduced is based on established guidelines that include: income level, existing debts, medical situation, and other indicators of inability to pay. If you think you might qualify for assistance, we encourage you to apply.
You may be eligible for:
Who qualifies for financial assistance?
Financial Assistance is available for patients with limited incomes and who are uninsured or underinsured.
Everyone in New York State who needs emergency services can receive care and financial assistance if they meet the income limits and/or other criteria.
Everyone who lives in Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga, Fulton, Montgomery and Schoharie Counties can receive financial assistance for non-emergency, medically necessary services at Ellis Medicine if they meet the income limits.
If your income is two times the current Federal Poverty Guidelines and you meet the Charity Care guidelines, you will be eligible for care at no cost to you. It is important for you to know that you cannot be denied medically-necessary care because you need financial assistance.
Regardless of immigration status, you may apply for financial assistance for emergency care if you live in New York State and you may apply for financial assistance for non-emergency, medically necessary services if you live in the counties mentioned above.
What are the income limits for Financial Aid/Charity Care?
Family Size Annual Family Income
1 up to $33,510
2 up to $45,390
3 up to $57,270
4 up to $69,150
5 up to $81,030
6 up to $92,910
What if I do not meet the income limits for Financial Aid/Charity Care?
If you cannot pay your bill, payment plans may be arranged with Ellis Medicine. Please call 518.243.1500 or 1.877.456.4557 to speak with a Customer Service representative.
What do I need to apply for Financial Assistance/Charity Care?
- Picture ID
- A bill indicating his/her address
- Pay stub
- If you cannot provide any of these, you may still be able to apply for financial assistance.
What services are covered?
- All medically necessary services provided by Ellis Medicine are covered by financial assistance. This includes outpatient services, emergency care and inpatient admissions.
- The Charity Care Program does not honor any applications for admission(s) to our Skilled Nursing Facility and non-emergent elective services, such as cosmetic procedures or some bariatric procedures.
- Charges from private doctors that Ellis Medicine does not bill for who provide services in the hospital are not covered. You should talk with your private doctor(s) to see if they offer a discount or payment plan.
Services Not Billed by Hospital
During your hospital stay, you may receive treatment from providers who will bill separately for their services. We will give your insurance information to these providers. Please contact these providers directly with any questions about your bill. Examples of separately billed services: your physicians/surgeon, other consulting physician fees, emergency department physicians, radiologists, anesthesiologists, pathologist, cardiologist, neurologist. You should talk to private doctors to see if they offer a discount or payment plan.
What is the Average Out-of-Pocket Cost for Someone Without Insurance?
Costs will vary depending on the health care service rendered and the setting in which the care is delivered (e.g., hospital, doctor's office). For example, the average out-of-pocket expense for an uninsured patient for a visit to the emergency room vs. a doctor's office is generally as follows:
||Emergency Department Visit
||Doctor Office Visit
|Uninsured patient Average
|out-of-pocket expense >>>
- Additional charges (discounted) will apply for any ancillary services, i.e. lab or x-ray. New York State Surcharge of 9.63% also applies to all patient expenses.
- This is only an example of an average cost for a typical emergency department and doctor office visit. It is not a quote for the cost of any service rendered at Ellis Medicine.
Can someone explain the Financial Assistance Program and help me apply?
- Yes, free confidential help is available. Call our Financial Advocates at 518.243.1695, or visit the Financial Advocate office at Ellis Hospital in the Admitting/Patient Registration area, Monday through Friday during normal business hours.
- If you do not speak English, someone will help you in your own language.
The Financial Advocate can tell you if you qualify for free or low-cost insurance such as Medicaid, Child Health Plus and Family Health Plus. If the Financial Advocate finds that you do not qualify for low-cost insurance they will help you apply for Financial Assistance/Charity Care to reduce your bill. The Financial Advocate will help you fill out all the forms and tell you what documents you need to bring.
How do I apply?
The first step is to complete and return a Financial Assistance application form.
How does the process work?
Return your completed application form and necessary documents to an Ellis Financial Advocate or mail to:
Patient Financial Services
ATTN: Uncompensated Care
1462 Erie Boulevard
Schenectady, NY 12305
Once your application is reviewed, youll be notified of three possible results:
- We need more information from you.
- Assistance was approved and your balance owed.
- You did not qualify for assistance.
If you are denied assistance, you can appeal by submitting a letter to the hospital Patient Services Financial Director explaining why the determination should be reconsidered. Please include any additional and appropriate supporting documents at this time. Such letters can be mailed to:
ATTN: Patient Services Financial Director
1462 Erie Boulevard
Schenectady, NY 12305